Wednesday, May 19, 2010
I used to always have my amp standing on the floor when I played. I battled to get my sound right for ages.
What was happening was that the majority of the sound was hanging out on the floor, and what was coming to my ears was only certain frequencies, mainly higher tones.
So I got an amp stand and now I aim the amp at me, much like a monitor.

Now I am hearing the full effect of the amp, all the tones of my guitar and if I mic it up right, so should the audience. See my Vox on the left.

The next problem comes in with what I had to deal with this week. I played on someone else's amp twice this week, once on Sunday and then again this morning, 19 May 2010. The difference it made as to where the amp was placed is huge. 
Sunday I played on a small Fender combo amp. It was placed on a chair right behind me. The stage was small and tight and I was battling to stop any feedback. The amp and guitar were way too close together and as soon as I added any gain for lead sounds, it was uncontrollable. But, because I was in a rush and it wasn't my stage I couldn't change it around. Without gain it was fine, but very loud and it made me uncomfortable. When you sound good, your attitude comes right and then you play better. When you sound bad you focus too much on it and try to fix your sound instead of actually playing.

This morning I played on a Roland JC120. The stage was much bigger and the amp was far away from me, pointing up at me again. When I added the lead patch on my GT8, no feedback, no uncomfortable noise, just pure goodness. 
It is very important to take time and find your position for your amp and you. You don't want the amp pointing at the guitar, you will just get feedback. You don't want it aimed parallel to the floor, unless you have ears in your ankles. You want the amp aimed at your head so you can hear it clearly, sound good, and rock out properly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Donovan Banks
Durban, KZN, South Africa
I am a musician who does anything and everything else. I write about what I do and how I do it. Enjoy and feel free to comment.
View my complete profile

Followers