Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Following my last blog about amp placement I feel it necessary to speak more about stage preparation. 
There are many factors that influence how we perform, we need to be comfortable, prepared, sober, awake, and hear ourselves well. If these are met than the only thing between us and a good performance is how well we execute what we practiced. 

Preparing a stage isn't too difficult, but you need to do it. You can't rock up and expect to stand/sit anywhere and perform at your best. You need to know the layout of the stage, what equipment is available and what you need, where the engineer will be and where the audience will be. 

A rider is much like a list of what to expect for a gig. You can see an example of John Mayer's rider here. For the average band, compiling a stage rider for each performance is a good idea. It is helpful to make a list of what equipment the band uses, how many plug points are required, how many microphones and stands are needed and whether there is any gear that can be left at home. It is a useful planning tool for the live performer. 
Good stage preparation will only leave you concerned with the performance, that should be all thats on your mind. Worrying about gear and how you sound should be left up to a sound engineer. Trust your rider and the team.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Donovan Banks
Durban, KZN, South Africa
I am a musician who does anything and everything else. I write about what I do and how I do it. Enjoy and feel free to comment.
View my complete profile

Followers