Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I bought an Ibanez (I don't care how you pronounce it, I say `eye`bun`ez and people correct me saying `e`bunez. It wasn't made by apple or the Zulu's) RG470 made in the mid 90's.
It was fairly abused so I took it for under R2000. If I consider that Glenwood Village music were willing to give me the new RG, not sure which one i assume it was the bottom range for R2500 i think mine wasn't at a bad price with a hard case.

When I saw it there was one of the three locking nuts and the tremolo arm missing. The pickups had fallen in through the mountings and when I tested it the switch didn't work so well. Yet I took it anyway. I was feeling generous as it was a student selling it and money tends to burn a hole in my pocket.


I also love the colour blue although I might just end up getting it resprayed a more metallic colour... yum!


I'm not sure how many people do this, but I always have big regrets after buying anything, especially if I can't start the repair process immediately.

On further examination I found the pickup mountings were wrong, taken from a Les Paul and the pups were screwed into the body with big self tapping screws. I took those off and discovered the two humbuckers are DiMarzio's. Not sure which ones but that's a definite upgrade from the Ibanez pups. If I can get this guitar playing and sounding even close to the Ibanez Steve Vai signature series, the JEM's I will be stoked. The neck is similar so I'm nearly there...

When I started pricing parts, the guys at Glenwood village music have been helpful, particularly Grant Lazenby who they say is their expert at Floyd Rose Trem guitars. He gave me some good tips and I found I don't need the genuine Ibanez part that the Mighty Mite ones could fit and are way cheaper. So far I have a new set of locking nuts and the pickup mountings. I am still looking for the appropriate Trem arm.

Mounting the pups proved to be a bigger mission that I thought it would. The holes in the bracket were damaged so I had to fill them in and re-tap it so I could adjust the height. So far so good.


I put new strings on as well. I used 10-46's as it was set up for them anyway but I see now 9-42's would be much better. I like the light touch that would accompany this neck. This guitar has the Wizard II neck which is a 3piece maple construction and a rosewood fretboard. I favour rosewood as I find it softer on the fingers and the eyes. The neck is out a bit so I am going to need to adjust the Truss rod.
















There is one piece of hardware that I do not like touching, and that is the truss rod. We are generally hard on things like nuts and bolts and do our best to make them as tight is possible. with the truss rod it is best to be very gentle and very patient. Going in quarter turns is best and remember loosening allows the neck to move upward from the string tension and tightening pulls it back.
So after I replace the selector switch, volume pot, and after the neck adjustment, Pickup mountings, lock nuts and trem bar replacement I'll have a near new guitar and I will definitely have a special attachment to it.













Remember that whatever maintenance you do on a guitar, find a manual and follow the specifications given. Unless you are a luthier you will need some sort of guidelines. Trying to wing it is not a good idea and can be expensive if you botch it up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Donovan Banks
Durban, KZN, South Africa
I am a musician who does anything and everything else. I write about what I do and how I do it. Enjoy and feel free to comment.
View my complete profile

Followers